Alien Breed is a series of top-down science fiction shoot ’em up video games developed by Team17 primarily for the Amiga in the 1990s, heavily inspired by the Alien films and featuring game play reminiscent of the classic arcade game Gauntlet. Later, first-person shooter titles were released under the Alien Breed name. In 2009, the series was revived with Alien Breed Evolution.
The original Alien Breed was released in 1991 for the Amiga and later in 1993 for MS-DOS. The game is set on a derelict space station that has been overrun by aliens. The player controls a lone survivor who must fight their way through the station to escape. The game features a variety of weapons and power-ups, as well as a number of different enemy types.
Alien Breed was a critical and commercial success, and it spawned a number of sequels and spin-offs. The most recent game in the series, Alien Breed 3: Descent, was released in 2010.
Here are some of the most notable games in the Alien Breed series:
- Alien Breed (1991): The original game in the series, set on a derelict space station.
- Alien Breed Special Edition ’92 (1992): An expanded version of the original game with new levels and enemies.
- Alien Breed II: The Horror Continues (1993): The sequel to the original game, set on a new space station.
- Alien Breed: Tower Assault (1994): A spin-off game set in a futuristic city.
- Alien Breed 3D (1995): The first first-person shooter in the series, set on a space station.
- Alien Breed 3D II: The Killing Grounds (1996): The sequel to Alien Breed 3D, set on a new space station.
- Alien Breed Evolution (2009): A remake of the original game, with updated graphics and gameplay.
- Alien Breed 3: Descent (2010): The latest game in the series, set on a new space station.
If you’re a fan of top-down shooters or the Alien films, then you should definitely check out the Alien Breed series. It’s a great series of games with a lot of variety and replay value.