Blackguards is a turn-based strategy RPG developed by Daedalic Entertainment and published by EuroVideo. It was released for Microsoft Windows and OS X in 2014. The game is set in the fictional continent of Aventuria within the Empire of Horasia. The player controls the protagonist, who tries to solve the murder of a princess, with the help of various characters he meets during his long journey.
There are five protagonists the player controls in varying party combinations:
- Dwarven Bootlegger: A skilled fighter and explosives expert.
- Decadent Black Magician: A powerful mage who relies on dark magic.
- Witch: A healer and summoner who can control the elements.
- Indigenous Gladiator: A strong and agile fighter who is proficient in hand-to-hand combat.
- Drug-addicted Half-elf Hunter: A ranged attacker who can also use traps and poisons.
The player can customize their characters’ skills and abilities, and choose how they want to approach the game. The game features a challenging campaign with over 180 unique hex-based battlegrounds. The player’s decisions will have consequences, and they can affect the outcome of the story.
Blackguards received mixed reviews from critics, with praise for its gameplay and story, but criticism for its technical issues. However, it has since gained a cult following among fans of turn-based strategy RPGs.
A sequel, Blackguards 2, was released in 2015. It was met with more positive reviews than the original game, and was praised for its improved gameplay and graphics.