Kentucky Route Zero is a magical realist adventure game developed by Cardboard Computer and published by Annapurna Interactive. It was first revealed in 2011 via the crowdfunding platform Kickstarter and is separated into five acts that were released sporadically throughout its development; the first releasing in January 2013 and the last releasing in January 2020. The game was developed for Linux, Windows, and macOS, with console ports for the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One under the subtitle of “TV Edition”, coinciding with the release of the final act.
The game follows the narrative of a truck driver named Conway and the strange people he meets as he tries to cross the mysterious Route Zero in Kentucky to make a final delivery for the antiques company for which he works. The game received acclaim for its visual art, narrative, characterization, atmosphere and themes, appearing on several best-of-the-decade lists.
Here are some of the reasons why people like Kentucky Route Zero:
- The game’s unique visual style, which is inspired by theater, film, and experimental electronic art.
- The game’s haunting electronic score and suite of hymns and bluegrass standards recorded by The Bedquilt Ramblers.
- The game’s thought-provoking story about unpayable debts, abandoned futures, and the human drive to find community.
- The game’s non-linear gameplay, which allows players to explore the world at their own pace and make their own choices.
- The game’s memorable characters, who are all struggling with their own personal demons.
If you’re looking for a unique and thought-provoking adventure game, then Kentucky Route Zero is definitely worth checking out. It’s a game that will stay with you long after you’ve finished playing it.
Here are some additional details about the game:
- The game is played from a top-down perspective and uses a point-and-click interface.
- Players explore the game world by clicking on objects and talking to characters.
- The game is divided into five acts, each of which can be played in any order.
- There are no enemies in the game, and players can choose to interact with the world in any way they see fit.
- The game is full of hidden secrets and easter eggs, and players are encouraged to explore every nook and cranny.
Kentucky Route Zero is a truly unique and special game that is unlike anything else out there. If you’re looking for a game that will challenge your expectations and stay with you long after you’ve finished playing it, then highly recommend checking it out.