Luftrausers is a shoot ’em up video game developed by Netherlands-based indie developer studio Vlambeer and published by Devolver Digital. It was released for Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita in March 2014. A demake of the game, titled LuftrauserZ, was developed by Paul Koller for Commodore 64, Commodore 128 and Commodore 64 Games System, and released by RGCD and Vlambeer on December 8, 2017.
In Luftrausers, players control a customizable airplane that can move in any direction. The player’s main weapon can only fire from the front, so players must take into account the position and angle of the airplane when attacking enemies. Players must also take into account the momentum of their plane while flying, using gravity and drift to maneuver as much as forward propulsion.
The game features over 125 different combinations of weapons, bodies, and propulsion systems, which players can unlock by completing missions and earning points. There are over 100 missions to complete, each with its own set of challenges. Players can also compete against each other online for high scores.
Luftrausers was well-received by critics, with many praising its unique gameplay and stylish visuals. The game has a Metacritic score of 84%, and it was nominated for the Independent Games Festival awards for Excellence in Design and Excellence in Audio.
Here are some of the features of Luftrausers:
- 360-degree movement: Players can move their airplane in any direction, making for a more dynamic and challenging experience.
- Customizable airplanes: Players can choose from over 125 different combinations of weapons, bodies, and propulsion systems to create their own unique airplane.
- Over 100 missions: There are over 100 missions to complete, each with its own set of challenges.
- Online multiplayer: Players can compete against each other online for high scores.
- Stylish visuals: Luftrausers features a stylish and minimalist art style that is both eye-catching and easy to read.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding shoot ’em up with a unique twist, then Luftrausers is definitely worth checking out.