NBA Live 14 is a basketball video game developed by EA Tiburon and published by Electronic Arts. It was released on November 19, 2013, for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It is the first NBA Live game on the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One. NBA Live 14 features Kyrie Irving of the Cleveland Cavaliers as its cover athlete.
The game features a number of new features, including:
- BounceTek dribble physics: This new physics system allows for more realistic dribbling, with players able to perform a variety of moves, including crossovers, behind-the-back dribbles, and spin moves.
- Dynamic player and team ratings: Player and team ratings are updated in real time based on their performance in the NBA. This means that players will get better or worse as the season progresses, and teams will rise and fall in the standings.
- CourtQ and Synergy Sports: CourtQ and Synergy Sports are two data companies that provide real-time NBA data to NBA Live 14. This data is used to update player ratings, tendencies, and playbooks.
- LIVE Season Challenges: LIVE Season Challenges are a series of challenges that players can complete to earn rewards. Challenges range from simple tasks, such as scoring a certain number of points, to more difficult tasks, such as winning a game with a certain team.
- Ultimate Team: Ultimate Team is a mode where players can collect cards of NBA players to create their own team. Players can then use their team to compete against other players online.
NBA Live 14 was met with mixed reviews. Critics praised the game’s graphics, new dribbling physics, and LIVE Season Challenges. However, they criticized the game’s lack of innovation, poor AI, and inconsistent gameplay.
NBA Live 14 was followed by NBA Live 15 in October 2014. The game was a significant improvement over NBA Live 14, and received much better reviews. However, it was still not as popular as the NBA 2K series.
EA announced in 2018 that they would be taking a break from the NBA Live series. They cited the need to “rethink” the series and come back with a game that is truly innovative and competitive.
It is unclear if or when NBA Live will return. However, there is still a large fan base for the series, and many people are hoping that EA will be able to revive it in the future.