Xevious is a vertically scrolling shooter game developed and published by Namco in 1982. It was one of the first games to feature a variety of enemies and power-ups, and it is considered to be one of the most influential shoot-em-ups of all time.
In Xevious, players control the Solvalou, a starship that is equipped with a zapper and a blaster. The zapper is used to destroy flying enemies, while the blaster is used to destroy ground installations and enemies. Players must progress through 16 areas, each of which is filled with enemies and obstacles.
Xevious introduced a variety of enemies that were not seen in previous shoot-em-ups. These enemies include:
- Flying saucers: These are the most common enemies in Xevious. They can be destroyed with the zapper.
- Missile launchers: These enemies fire missiles at the Solvalou. They can be destroyed with the zapper or the blaster.
- Shield generators: These enemies protect other enemies from damage. They must be destroyed before the other enemies can be defeated.
- Motherships: These are the largest enemies in Xevious. They can only be destroyed by hitting the weak point on their underside.
Xevious also introduced a variety of power-ups that can be collected to improve the Solvalou’s firepower or survivability. These power-ups include:
- Extra life: This power-up gives the player an extra life.
- Shield: This power-up protects the Solvalou from damage for a short period of time.
- Bomb: This power-up can be used to destroy a large area of enemies.
- Speed boost: This power-up increases the Solvalou’s speed.
Xevious was a critical and commercial success, and it helped to popularize the shoot-em-up genre. The game’s innovative gameplay and variety of enemies and power-ups made it a challenging and rewarding experience for players. Xevious is still considered to be one of the best shoot-em-ups of all time, and it has been ported to many platforms, including home computers, consoles, and mobile devices.